Sunday, December 9, 2012

{Handmade Gifts} Aromatherapy Eye Pillow

Hi Everyone!! Today I have teamed up with a great group of ladies to create handmade gifts with something for all ages! If you need an idea for a few more gifts under the tree, check out these sweet handmade ideas from the ladies listed below!

Photobucket




These past few months have been a little stressful for my mom. Some changes at home and at work have given her a few rough days here and there. I figured what could be a better Christmas gift than some relaxation. An aromatherapy eye pillow is an easy gift to make that will pair well with a glass of wine to help her relax after a long day.

Eye pillows are filled with flax seeds and a few drops of lavender oil and are supposed to help headaches and work as an antidepressant. The pillow has the perfect weight to put enough pressure on your face to contour to it, blocking out the light.


To create the pillow, I used:
      -  Two 9" x 3" pieces of fabric scraps
      -  Sewing Machine and Thread
      -  Scissors
      -  Flax Seeds
      -  Lavender Oil

First, I sewed the two scraps of fabric together (pretty sides facing each other) on three sides, leaving one of the small sides open. And then turned the pillow right side out.

Next I mixed the flax seed and lavender oil. I straight guessed on amounts here. I filled the bowl with flax seed and then sprinkled the lavender oil until it smelled good. (Sorry I can't be more specific than that!!)

I then stirred and spooned the flax seeds into the pillow and sewed the last end closed. It may not be the prettiest gift under the tree but it sure does smell good!

Handmade gifts are my favorite to give and to receive!! Does anyone have some great handmade gift ideas?

14 comments:

  1. I love handmade gifts too and this one looks perfect! I'm sure your mum will love it :) The fabrics are really so cute and I am totally jealous that you get to enjoy the scent! i might just have to make one myself..! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sophie- They are super simple! I have a love hate relationship with my sewing machine currently but it didn't take me long to whip this up! And luckily most of the not-so-pretty stitching is on the inside!

      Delete
  2. Great idea! This would be the perfect handmade addition to a relaxing themed gift basket.

    Amber @ Wills Casa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You read my mind! I threw a little relaxation basket together but decided to wait until later to post about it!!

      Delete
  3. This is an awesome idea!!

    xo Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just reading your description of these is making me crave a nice long nap with one of these over my eyes. They sound blissful! I think they're plenty pretty too, the fabric you used is gorgeous :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tamsyn! I had this fabric left over from a pajama pant sewing project in college! It is so soft and thought it would be perfect for this project as well!

      Delete
  5. I never knew that flaxseed and lavender could work for headaches. I can just imagine popping one of these over my eyes in the middle of a stressful work day. Or at the very least when I get home presuming I want to keep my job! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely understand! Some days a nap would just make everything better- especially this cold Monday morning!!

      Delete
  6. Mmm this makes me want to nap. I love it! Essential oils are great and I can definitely think of a few people who would love these! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I might have to make just a few more- they really are simple! Less than an hour from start to finish!

      Delete
  7. Oooh, I want to make myself one! This is so cute and sounds sooooo relaxing!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. It means a lot. I try and answer any questions directly in the comment section so if you ask a question come back to look for my answer. However, it is much easier for me to answer questions through email at lorrinteriors@gmail.com.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
09 10 11 12
Blogging tips