Friday, December 7, 2012

DIY Art Inspired by Lulie Wallace

Over the past couple of years, I have started a collection of canvases with every intention of making a beautiful piece of art for our home. I started one project over two years ago that involved six square canvases but half way through, changed my mind on the direction I wanted to go with art. So, in the meantime, I have six lonely white canvases that have been hanging out in my junk room.

I have pinned so many beautiful art pieces and Lulie Wallace's gorgeous flower arrangement paintings kept standing out to me. I decided to try my hand at a painting inspired by her work. 

What I love so much about Lulie Wallace's paintings is they look so effortless. They have a "sketch-like" feel to the painting that I thought would be simple to try and imitate. I fell in to the paint-inside-the lines-perfectly-trap and my painting started to look more like "paint by numbers" rather than the sketch-like I loved. This project definitely made me appreciate  the talent it takes to create a beautiful work of art.

I went back over with metallic gold, silver and green paints to help give a more sketchy feel. I think it helped a little bit in that department but I also love how the light bounces off all those metallic accents. I love the art work I created but one day maybe I can own a real Lulie Wallace painting.

Has anyone ever dabbled in creating you own work of art? After this, I have realized my dreams of a large abstract DIY painting maybe be harder than I originally thought!


  1. I am so impressed! This is beautiful! I always thinking painting looks so easy until I pick up a paint brush and then I completely understand that, OMG, it's so hard!

  2. I really like the idea of painting. The reality lasts about two minutes until I lose patience that it doesn't look perfect! You however did a fantastic job and your art looks great :o)


Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. It means a lot. I try and answer any questions directly in the comment section so if you ask a question come back to look for my answer. However, it is much easier for me to answer questions through email at

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
09 10 11 12
Blogging tips