Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Deck the Halls {Ruffle Tree Skirt}

This year while I was pinning away at my Christmas Inspiration, I ran across a few ruffled tree skirts that I loved. They seemed simple enough (no sewing) so I thought I would give it a try!

 My method for making the skirt is from Miss Mustard Seed's tutorial for HGTV.
Miss Mustard Seed via HGTV
I started with a 5' x 5' drop cloth that I found in the paint department at Home Depot.
Home Depot
And I followed MMS's directions on cutting it into a circle and ended up with this... (She says use 4 1/2' x 4 1/2' fabric to start. I didn't worry about this and that might have been why I ran into my problems!)
I started with 5 yards of a cream muslin-like fabric and cut that into 3" strips. (MMS says it only takes 4 yards so I thought I had plenty). My 5 yards only covered a little less than half of my tree skirt.... I don't know if I made my ruffles too small and close or if that 6" difference to begin with mattered that much. So I went back and bought about 3 more yards of fabric...

I started by making a line of hot glue about 1 1/2" up from the edge of my circle and ruffling the fabric as I went.
I started with small, tight ruffles but soon realized after I started to layer that I could make larger ruffles and the end result was the same. This made the fabric stretch a little farther...

 And I just kept doing that until the entire skirt was ruffled!
It took quite a while and I broke it up over a couple of days but I think it is totally worth it!

Berkley even likes the skirt too!!
Isn't he such a cutie!

Linking up with:
Centsational Girl
The Southern Product Queen 
Bower Power Christmas Crafts

Tip Junkie handmade projects


  1. Wow, this turned our perfect! Totally worth the time .... it's so cute, and so festive :)

  2. Thanks for visiting BeBookBound. That is SOOOO cute! And the muslin ornaments would coordinate beautifully! Now I feel like I need to go buy me a lot more muslin and make one of these... Thanks for filling up my Tuesday- haha :)

  3. I'm having a linky party right now on my blog! I would love it if you would link up your holiday stuff! So cute! Here is my link http://www.thesouthernproductqueen.com/2011/12/13/linky-party/ Thanks!

  4. Your tree skirt turned out so nice, and what a cute pup! My tree skirts are burlap tossed under one, ticking under another, and my grandmas flannel blanket wrapped around a third. Maybe one day I will try to make a real skirt! The ruffles are wonderful!!!

  5. Your tree skirt turned out so beautifully! I made one this year too, it was a lot of work, but definitely worth it!!

    Merry Christmas

  6. You did a beautiful job! I love her tutorial!


Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. It means a lot. I try and answer any questions directly in the comment section so if you ask a question come back to look for my answer. However, it is much easier for me to answer questions through email at lorrinteriors@gmail.com.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
09 10 11 12
Blogging tips