Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Hold on to Your Fork

In my quest to finish a project for my "Pinterest Challenge" I decided to create a DONE! board on Pinterest to keep up with what I have finished! I had a few more than I thought! Some were recipes I had cooked, some were tips I had tried out, some were prints I had bought and a few were projects that I had finished.

One of my favorites was the "Hold on to Your Fork". There is such a sweet story behind this saying that I heard when I was a kid and have loved it ever since! I thought it would make a perfect addition to the gallery wall in my kitchen.

My Inspiration:
via jones design company
The colors weren't exactly what I was going for but here is my version:

I traced the border and fork and painted the canvas with craft paints and paint pens! I love the way it turned out!

- Hold on to your Fork
Consider the following true story about one dear woman who was a devoted member of her church for nearly 70 years. She’d been diagnosed with a terminal illness and given only days to live. As she was sharing some final moments and last words with loved ones, her Pastor was called to her bedside to discuss her final wishes. She told him which songs and scriptures she wanted at her service and what outfit she wanted to wear.

As the Pastor was leaving, the lady suddenly cried out, “Wait. There’s one more little thing. I want to be buried with a fork in my right hand.” The Pastor didn’t know what to say. “So that puzzles you, does it?” the lady said to the Pastor.

She went on to explain… “In over 70 years of attending community socials and family dinners, church functions and birthday parties, seems like after every meal some one would say, “hang on to your fork”. Each time I heard this I felt excited and happy because it meant something better was coming, like chocolate cake or pumpkin pie, something sweet and wonderful. I want my friends and family to remember me with a fork in my hand because I want them to know that I believe….”the best is yet to come”. And when anyone asks, ‘What’s with the fork?’ I want you to tell them: “the best is yet to come.’”

The Pastor became teary eyed as he kissed his dear friend good-bye. He realized that, though he had been trained in theological mysteries, she had a far better grasp on eternity. She had lived a fine, long life and she left this life knowing for sure, something better was yet to come.

At her funeral, many people attended because she was greatly admired in her community. As they approached her casket they all saw the fork and over and over again, the Pastor was asked, “What’s with the fork?” And over and over he smiled and said, “The best is yet to come.”-

Linking up to:  The Shabby Nest Bower Power , Young House LoveMaking a House a Home 
Tip Junkie handmade projects




3 comments:

  1. I know that story and agree that it's a great one. I think I need to get this phrase up in my kitchen too. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super cute. I am unfamiliar with the story, but am curios now. I will have to google it ;) Thanks for sharing.
    Britney
    www.jandmseyecandy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. It means a lot. I try and answer any questions directly in the comment section so if you ask a question come back to look for my answer. However, it is much easier for me to answer questions through email at lorrinteriors@gmail.com.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
09 10 11 12
Blogging tips